South African regional court to rule on blocking Zuma’s arrest order
This Friday, a South African regional court will decide whether it will block an order from the country’s highest court for the arrest of former South African President Jacob Zuma.
On Tuesday, the High Court in Pietermaritzburg in KwaZulu-Natal province heard arguments from Zuma’s lawyer.
The latter said the court should stop the order made by the Constitutional Court last week calling for police to arrest Zuma before midnight on Wednesday.
Zuma’s lawyers argued that the court should prevent police from arresting him until the Constitutional Court rules on his request to quash the sentence. The case will be heard on Monday July 12.
(The) order must wait until next Monday. But these other parties (the defendants) have nevertheless moved forward to come before this tribunal and make a non-existent file. And your lordship, we leave it up to your lordship to indicate its appropriate approbrium, ” said Dali Mpofu, layer for the besieged politician.
In an opposing argument, the defendant Tembeka Ngcukaitobi, who represented the Zondo commission, said that Zuma had already defied the court order by not surrendering to the authorities.
“We are dealing here with a repetitive and recalcitrant lawbreaker in the form of Mr. Zuma. He has now come to you (the court) to help him break the law further. You should reject this, ”Ngcukaitobi said.
Judgment in the case will be delivered on Friday.
Zuma, 79, was found in contempt after failing to obey the court order to appear before the Zondo commission investigating corruption charges when he was president between 2009 and 2018.
Over the weekend, hundreds of Zuma supporters gathered outside his rural home in Nkandla, KwaZulu-Natal. They swore to prevent any attempt at arrest.
Zuma said at a press conference on Sunday that “sending me to jail during the pandemic and at my age is tantamount to sentencing me to death.”