Murder trial hears from Hamilton police officers who found Ali Mohummad’s body

The first Hamilton police officers who arrived at a parking lot in Limeridge Road West early on July 19, 2020 found chaos.

Wrecked cars, bloody men, pieces of wood, broken asphalt strewn on the ground. Most of the young men involved had already dispersed to the square near Garth Street where there had been a fight or ambush involving opposing groups from Hamilton and Peel Region.

When the const. Kevin Willson first arrived with police dog Jake at 1:16 a.m. He helped contain the scene. Police were told one of the Peel group friends was missing, but amid the chaos it was unclear whether he had joined the fight, fled or was at the ‘hospital.

The scene was cleared just after 3.30am as detectives worked to investigate what happened, the canine unit officer said.

He was among several police witnesses who testified Friday at the trial of two teenagers charged with second-degree murder. The couple cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

At first light, more blood became visible in the parking lot, Willson said. Hours had passed and there had been no sign of 19-year-old Ali Mohummad.

Police spoke with witnesses who had been injured in the melee and were able to account for all the major bloodstains – apart from a large stain at the back of the parking lot which had a trail of blood running through it. walked away from the stage.

Willson was called back around 5:15 a.m. to follow up on the blood trail. Jake immediately picked up the scent and led the officer 120 yards – not in a straight line – across the road and grass and behind a nearby building at 11 Kendale Ct. At the end of the parking lot, down a grassy hill and leaning against a chain-link fence, he found the body.

const. Derek Walsh was also among the first officers on the scene; he accompanied one of the injured men to the hospital. He, too, was called back to cover for Willson while he followed the police dog.

When they found the body, it was Walsh who checked the pulse and found none. He pulled Mohummad’s body away from the fence in an attempt to save lives. His body was cold, Walsh said.

He continued CPR until paramedics arrived. It was too late, the 19-year-old was pronounced dead at 5:41 a.m.

The trial before Ontario Court Judge Bernd Zabel also heard from two forensic officers who documented the scene, took blood samples and examined several cars involved in the scuffle.

It was a big scene, covering the parking lot and surrounding area. It was hot and windy the morning of July 19, but officers were advised a rainstorm was coming.

“We were going fast to outrun this rain,” recalled Det. const. Michael Eves, who photographed the scene.

The focus was on documenting the three cars in the parking lot before the rain started a little after 12:30 p.m., Det. const. Milan Pilipovic.

Some of the blood on the floor was washed away before police could take samples.

The trial continues Monday.

Elna M. Lemons