Senior political fundraisers and Donald Trump’s former campaign operation are among dozens in the former president’s orbit who have received grand jury subpoenas in recent days – so that the Department of Justice is stepping up its criminal investigation on January 6, 2021, according to several sources familiar with the matter.
They include former Trump campaign manager Bill Stepien and Sean Dollman, who worked for Trump’s 2020 presidential campaign as chief financial officer, sources familiar with the matter told CNN. Neither Stepien nor Dollman responded to CNN’s requests for comment.
Dan Scavino, Trump’s former deputy chief of staff, also recently received a subpoena, according to a source familiar with the matter. Scavino did not respond to a request for comment.
In total, more than 30 people with ties to Trump have received subpoenas in recent days, according to two sources close to the targets of the subpoenas. Subpoenas ask for documents and, in some cases, testimony before a grand jury in Washington, DC.
The flurry of subpoenas and other investigative activity came in the days just before the Justice Department began its standard pre-election silence period, a 60-day period before the midterm elections. during which the department generally seeks to avoid taking overt investigative action in politically sensitive inquiries to avoid the appearance of trying to influence the election.
Some of the subpoenas, including one reviewed by CNN, were wide-ranging, seeking information on a range of issues, including the fake voter program, Trump’s main political and fundraising vehicle, Save America PAC, organizing Trump’s January 6 rally. , and any communication with a broad list of people who worked to overturn the 2020 election results.
The subpoena reviewed by CNN seeks documents related to compensation provided or received from a list of individuals including Trump attorneys and campaign staffers through Jan. 20, 2021.
He also requests communications with anyone at the Department of Justice. As CNN previously reported, investigators are looking into the role of former DOJ attorney Jeffrey Clark in promoting false allegations of voter fraud on Trump’s behalf.
The subpoenas seek to contact some of the same actors previously identified in subpoenas issued to fake voters in various states earlier this year, including former Trump lawyers Rudy Giuliani and Victoria Toensing and Boris Epshteyn, an adviser to Trump’s 2020 campaign, among others.
Some of the subpoenas also requested any information the recipients had previously given to the House Select Committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.
Bernard Kerik, a former New York police commissioner who worked with Giuliani to find evidence of voter fraud in the weeks following the 2020 election, also received a subpoena for documents and testimony, his lawyer confirmed. at CNN.
“I’ve seen a lot of subpoenas. It looks very different because there’s no direction,” Kerik’s attorney Timothy Parlatore said. “Usually it’s very targeted.”
Brian Jack, the last White House political director under Trump, was also subpoenaed, according to a source familiar. Jack did not respond to a request for comment.
Women for America First President Amy Kremer, who hosted the Trump rally outside the White House, said in a tweet over the weekend that her group had also received a broad subpoena. His lawyer said the same thing publicly.
This story has been updated with additional details.
™ & © 2022 Cable News Network, Inc., a Warner Bros. Company. Discovery. All rights reserved.