Homeowners Seek Jury Trial for Public Nuisance in Mass Shooting in Charleston

CHARLESTON, SC (WCBD) – Owners of downtown Charleston property in the center of a Memorial Day shooting that left dozens injured have requested a jury trial as they face public nuisance charges.

Annette and Paula Dickerson own a house on South Street where the party allegedly started before spilling over to a nearby wasteland.

The Charleston Police Department announced earlier this month that the pair were issued a summons to appear for breach of public orderissued by the City of Charleston Department of Habitability and Tourism and the CPD, to be held responsible for creating an environment that led to the shooting.

Neither is charged in the actual shooting.

While the couple were due in city habitability court on June 27, the defendants requested a jury trial instead.

“That means this case will continue until the jury trial date which is set for sometime in September,” said Dan Riccio, director of livability and tourism for the City of Charleston.

A six-member jury will be selected during the morning of this trial. After hearing the case, the judge will determine if the defendants are guilty. They face a $1,087 fine and/or 30 days in jail.

Police said a 31-year-old man, Deljavon Lamat Simmons, was arrested by Charleston police and U.S. Marshals Task Force officers for his role in the shooting. Although no one was killed, 12 people were injured in the Memorial Day incident, either by gunshot or shrapnel, including a Charleston police officer.

Two Charleston County Sheriff’s Office deputies were also injured during crowd control after the shooting.

Simmons is charged with five counts of attempted murder and one count of possession of a weapon in the commission of a violent crime.

Elna M. Lemons