Family of murdered Davao del Sur journalist still seeking justice after a year

The family of slain journalist Orlando Dinoy complain that they have not gotten clear answers from the authorities on the status of the murder case

DAVAO ORIENTAL, Philippines – The family and colleagues of murdered Davao del Sur-based journalist Orlando Dinoy are still demanding justice a year after his murder in Bansalan, Davao del Sur.

Dinoy, 43, was shot six times in the chest and abdomen in his small apartment on Mother Ignacia Street in Bansalan, Davao del Sur on the evening of October 30, 2021.

Investigation showed Dinoy ran to his apartment from a doorway where the gunman began shooting. The gunman burst into the apartment where he finished off the journalist.

The Philippine National Police (PNP) in the Davao area had formed a special investigative team to expedite work to find those responsible for the murder, but nothing significant has come of it so far.

Dinoy’s family complained that they did not get clear answers from authorities about the status of the murder case.

“We have not yet heard from police investigators,” said Carmelita Dinoy, the slain journalist’s mother, as her family and colleagues celebrated the first anniversary of her murder on Sunday, October 30.

Edith Caduaya, owner of NewsLine Philippines where Dinoy worked as a correspondent, said the suspected shooter identified earlier by authorities allegedly escaped arrest when authorities attempted to arrest him in Bukidnon.

She said police told them the suspect was moving from place to place.

“I don’t know if what the police said was true,” she said.

Carmelita said she frequently asked police for updates on her whereabouts to catch the suspected shooter, whom authorities identified as a Brandy Mercado Campaner.

Most of the time, she said, the authorities would simply tell her, “Wala man mi kabalo, madam (We don’t know, ma’am).

In addition to his work at NewsLine, Dinoy had also worked as a commentator at a radio station in Davao del Sur,

His media colleagues in Digos City said days before Dinoy was assassinated, he tackled illegal gambling operations in the province.

Paul Palacio, who also works for NewsLine, said: “I think (Dinoy’s murder) was work-related.”

The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) has condemned the killing and called on Philippine authorities to bring the perpetrators to justice.

Major Eudisan Gultiano, spokesman for the PNP regional office, has yet to respond to calls and text messages regarding Rappler’s Dinoy case since Saturday, October 29. – Rappler.com

Elna M. Lemons